Code for Cape Town is a 3 week holiday program that introduces grade 10 and 11 girls to the exciting world of web development for social impact. Over the three week period, selected participants learn about the human centered design process, HTML and CSS programming languages, building a website in WordPress as well as pitching and presenting skills. Participants apply their newly acquired skills to create mobile websites for community organisations that maximise their potential to benefit communities. In addition to the rigorous academic schedule, students are exposed to local entrepreneurs and industry professionals.
- Particpants are brought through the human centered design process, integrating necessary environmental factors to create sustainable change.
- Particpants learn HTML and CSS computer programing languages.
- Particpants gain an understanding of web design as they work to build a mobi site for their client.
- Particpants learn how to develop content for different devices in order to reach out to users with and without smart phones.
- Particpants are trained to pitch and present their products confidently while utilizing web resources to create pitching videos and presentations.
- Particpants are exposed to and inspired by local entrepreneurs and industry professionals. Have a look at the speakers.
- In the last week the girls become teachers and pass on their new skills to their friends at the Code4CT Maker Party.
Code4CT runs a winter holiday program in July for Grade 11 girls.
You can meet the inspiring group of 2014 participants here and read about their progress through camp on the Reflections tab.
In January 2015 Code4CT is running the program for post-matric learners, as a feeder into coding school, Project CodeX.
Many community-based organisations have valuable resources and programs, but the organisations’ websites often don’t make their services available in a user-friendly way to their targeted population. Participants of Code4CT partnered with community-based organisations to create mobi sites which make valuable resources offered by the organisations more accessible to the beneficiaries of the organisations.
Follow the blog.
The program is run by Innovate South Africa. It is lead by Emma Dicks of ISA.
Code4CT 2014 was made possible from the generous support from WeTech.
Code4CT is a project of GMin and Innovate South Africa.