Code for Cape Town is a 3 week holiday program that introduces grade 10 and 11 girls to the exciting world of web development for social impact. Over the three week period, selected participants learn about the human centered design process, HTML and CSS programming languages, building a website in WordPress as well as pitching and presenting skills. Participants apply their newly acquired skills to create mobile websites for community organisations that maximise their potential to benefit communities. In addition to the rigorous academic schedule, students are exposed to local entrepreneurs and industry professionals.
Twenty four grade 10 and 11 girls from COSAT in Khayelitsha. What an inspiring group of girls! You can follow their progress through camp on the Reflections tab.
Many community-based organisations have valuable resources and programs, but the organisations’ websites often don’t make their services available in a user-friendly way to their targeted population. Participants of Code4CT will partner with community-based organisations to create mobi sites which will make resources offered by the organisations more accessible to the beneficiaries of the organisations.
Follow the blog as the girls tackle this challenge.
The program is run by Innovate South Africa, a project of Global Minimum. It is lead by Emma Dicks of ISA and a team of tutors.
- Particpants are brought through the human centered design process, integrating necessary environmental factors to create sustainable change.
- Particpants learn HTML and CSS computer programing languages.
- Particpants gain an understanding of web design as they work to build a mobi site for their client.
- Particpants learn how to develop content for different devices in order to reach out to users with and without smart phones.
- Particpants are trained to pitch and present their products confidently while utilizing web resources to create pitching videos and presentations.
- Particpants are exposed to and inspired by local entrepreneurs and industry professionals. Have a look at the speakers.
- In the last week the girls become teachers and pass on their new skills to their friends at the Code4CT Maker Party.
Code4CT has been made possible from the generous support from WeTech.
Code4CT is a project of GMin and Innovate South Africa.