Code for Cape Town is a 3 week holiday program introducing grade 10 and 11 girls to the exciting world of web development for social impact. Over the three week period, selected participants will learn about the human centered design process, HTML and CSS programming languages, building a website in WordPress as well as pitching and presenting skills. Participants will apply their newly acquired skills to create mobile websites for community organisations that maximise their potential to benefit communities. In addition to the rigorous academic schedule, students will also be exposed to local entrepreneurs and industry professionals.
Twenty four grade 10 and 11 girls from COSAT in Khayelitsha. What an inspiring group of girls! You can follow their progress through camp on the Reflections tab.
Many community-based organisations have valuable resources and programs, but the organisations’ websites often don’t make their services available in a user-friendly way to their targeted population. Participants of Code4CT will partner with community-based organisations to create mobi sites which will make resources offered by the organisations more accessible to the beneficiaries of the organisations.
Follow the blog as the girls tackle this challenge.
The program is run by Innovate South Africa, a project of Global Minimum. It is lead by Emma Dicks of ISA and a team of tutors.
- Students will be brought through the human centered design process, integrating necessary environmental factors to create sustainable change.
- Learners will learn HTML and CSS computer programing languages.
- Learners will gain an understanding of web design as they work to build a mobi site for their client.
- Learners will learn how to develop content for different devices in order to reach out to users with and without smart phones.
- Learners will be trained to pitch and present their products confidently while utilizing web resources to create pitching videos and presentations.
- Students will be exposed to and inspired by local entrepreneurs and industry professionals. Have a look at the speakers.
- Learners will visit a local IT company.
- In the last week the girls will be involved in a day of fun web making. Learners will become teachers as they will pick their favourite activity and teach to invited guests.
Code4CT has been made possible from the generous support from WeTech.