Dates: 4-8 July
Venues: American Corner (Cape Town Central Library); Cape Town Science Centre (Observatory) ; Makupula High School (Kayamandi)
Participants: Grade 10 female learners
Code Week is an intensive learning experience for Grade 10 female learners who are interested in learning to code and using technology for innovation.
- Creative Problem Solving: Learn how to apply the Design Thinking process to tackle complex problems creatively and develop innovative solutions.
- Industry insight: Hear presentations from local companies who are using technology innovatively.
- Network: Meet likeminded girls who are interested in using technology to create change in South Africa.
A full description of learning outcomes is given below.
Cost: R2400 (includes tuition, catered lunch and snacks, branded apparel)
Scholarship: Scholarships are made available to eligible candidates. Learners who wish to apply for a scholarship should complete the application form and select that they need a scholarship. The initial application will be followed by an online test to assess your potential as a coder.
Application: Grade 10 female learners can apply through the online application form.
- Broad understanding of the role of a web designer and web developer
- Basic understanding of world wide web structure
- Basic understanding of browser request cycle
- Be able to create a basic webpage using HTML and CSS
- Be able to apply computational thinking in problem solving
- Using console.log() and other built-in methods in debugging, speeding up the feedback loop
- Understand the different types of variables and how to work with them
- Understand conditional statements
- Be able to write effective conditional statements using comparison and logical operators
- Understand the importance of functions in keeping code DRY
- Be able to write basic functions with parameters, variables, and return values
- Understand the different types of loop (for, while)
- Be able to work with a loop and break out of it
- Understand an array
- Be able to iterate through an array and search it
- Be able to apply the Design Thinking process to a complex problem and create an innovate solution
- Be able to work in a diverse team